Hello, friends in this post I’m going to share with you ethics of hacking that every ethical hacker must adhere to. These are the guidelines and principles that every ethical hacker must follow.
So if you are an ethical hacker or want to become one, you must follow certain rules. These rules will define who you are and make sure that you don’t cross the line of ethics of hacking.
When companies hire hackers to penetrate into their systems they give the hacker a certain set of permissions and rules to follow. The hacker must strictly follow those rules to stay in line with the company.
So if by mistake a hacker crosses the boundary line then he might find himself in a tight spot. And you probably don’t want to be in that situation.
So these are the ethics of hacking, or you can say proactive rules that every ethical hacker must know.
Knowing these will greatly help you to stay away from falling into any legal action.
READ: Hacking For Beginners
Who Is An Ethical Hacker?
The term hacking is often misinterpreted by the general public. They think that no matter how much a hacker do good for the society; if he is a hacker then he is a criminal.
But we know, that is not simply true.
The term hacking in the wrong sense is popularized by the media. They just think that the hacker is a criminal and don’t deserve any place in this society.
But they don’t know the fact that all the hackers are not bad.
In fact, the good hackers help and want to create a healthy online ecosystem for all of us. These ethical hackers help different companies to strengthen their online security which is a very crucial aspect of an online business.
So companies hire ethical to test their networks and systems and find any loopholes. These ethical hackers are paid very well if they do the successful audit of the company’s website or the system.
According to Richard Stallman (an American free software movement activist and programmer):
The hacker ethic refers to the feelings of right and wrong, to the ethical ideas this community of people had that knowledge should be shared with other people who can benefit from it, and that important resources should be utilized rather than wasted.
Ethics Of Hacking
So here are the ethics of hacking that every ethical hacker must know:
1. First and foremost you must take a written permission from the company whose network or system you are going to access. Make sure you ask for a legal document giving you the permission to do the penetration testing. You must always keep the legal document safe before taking any actions.
2. All the information and data that you discover while accessing the system or the network must be kept confidential. This is the information that is very vital for a client and could lead to the business loss if leaked. As an ethical hacker, you are responsible for keeping all this intellectual property safe and secure.
3. You should not collect, give or sell any personally identifiable information (PII) to a third party without the client consent. The personally identifiable information may include name, email, address, social security number or any other unique identifier.
4. Although there are many alternatives to the paid tools to help you in penetration testing; you must always make an effort to never use the pirated copy of the paid tools. Since these copies of software are obtained and retained illegally, it is unethical to do so.
5. Likewise, you must absolutely not take part in any black hat activity or be associated with any black hat community. These black hat communities only think about their financial gains and don’t care about anybody else. And also these hacking communities preach black hat activities which are strictly unethical to do.
6. Certainly, you must only use the property of a client or employer only in ways properly authorized, and with the owner’s knowledge and consent. You should have all the permissions listed in a document where it is properly mentioned what to do and what not do. So if you think that something is obvious and must be taken care of without telling the owner then you might not be always right.
7. You must always disclose all the security vulnerabilities to the software developer or hardware manufactures in their software or hardware. It is in their best interest.
8. Ensure ethical conduct and professional care at all times. You must respect the individual’s or company’s privacy. This is vital, leaked information by you could land you in serious trouble.
9. When your work is complete you must make sure that you don’t leave any exploit explicitly or by mistake that could be exploited later. You are the only one responsible for this.
Rundown: Ethics Of Hacking
So these were the ethics of hacking. If you are an ethical hacker or planning to become one you must take note of these and adhere to. If you think I have missed something please let me know in the comment section below. Have any suggestion or query? feel free to contact me.
I’ll be happy to help you.