In this tutorial, I’m going to show you how you can hide your IP address easily. This is a step-by-step guide for anybody who’s in interested in knowing how to hide IP address free.
…in this era of digitalization, the whole world is literally shifting online. With this shift, it is essential more than ever to take care of your privacy online.
In this guide, I’m going to show you how to hide your IP address with a step-by-step guide. So let’s dive right into it.
But first of all, let’s discuss…
What’s The Need For An IP Address?
For those of you, who don’t know what an IP address is, it is a unique address (like 126.96.36.199) given to every device connected to the Internet.
As you know that the Internet is a global network of interconnected computers and there is no shortage of Internet-enabled devices.
The number of devices connected to the Internet is very huge and it is growing at a very rapid pace.
So suppose, I want to send some information from my computer to another computer which could be in any part of the world…
…now you tell me how’s that information is going to be transferred without having an address to where it needs to be sent?!
That’s when IP(Internet Protocol) address comes into place.
This unique address is assigned to each an every device connected to the Internet which can be used to literally tell a computer where another device is located, just like you send the letter to someone you label the destination address on it.
Therefore there is the need for IP addresses which simply ensures that each device connected to the network has its own one unique attribute which is important for it to communicate with other devices connected to the Internet.
So before moving onto how to hide your IP address let’s have a look at how to find your IP address.
Because to hide your IP address you must first be aware of your current IP address in order to make sure that your IP address is successfully hidden after trying the methods given below.
So to find your IP address simply type in the Google what is my IP.
Now you can see your current IP address. Just take a note of that IP address.
There is also an alternative way with which you can find your IP address. This method is only for Windows users. Just follow the steps below:
1. Open the run dialog box by pressing a Windows+R key.
2. In the run dialog box type cmd and hit enter.
3. Type ipconfig and hit enter.
4. Now you can see your IP address.
Now let’s work on hiding your IP address. You can basically hide your IP address using the following methods:
- Using a Proxy
- Connecting to a VPN (Virtual Private Network)
- Using the TOR browser
- Installing the Tails OS
Hide Your IP Address Using Proxy
Using a proxy server you can easily hide your IP address within a few seconds. There are lots of websites available on the Internet which helps you to hide your IP address by masking your IP address with their proxy server.
But don’t take that for granted.
Proxy servers are not a reliable medium for hiding IP address. But proxies are a great way to bypass network based and country based restrictions.
So say if you want to access youtube or facebook that are restricted in your school or college you can easily get through the restriction using proxies.
So below is a demo to hide your IP address using the hidemyass free proxy:
1. Now look, I’m trying to access a movies website which is blocked in my country. Whenever I try to access it following message is shown to me.
2. But I know that this can be easily bypassed so I went to hidemyass free proxy and entered the website name and hit on connect button.
3. As you can see how I’m able to access the website which was previously blocked. This means that you can successfully hide your IP address using this method. You can check that by going to google and typing what is my IP.
See, It was that easy.
I remember when I and my friends in school used the site2unblock proxy site to bypass the network firewall for accessing Facebook and other websites which were blocked.
Good old memories!
Hide Your IP Address Using VPN
I’m quite sure that you must have heard this word VPN many times before. VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and it is exactly what it sounds like.
A virtual network can be formed with the help of a software.
In a Virtual Private Network firstly a connection is established from your device to a remote server which could be located anywhere in the world. Not necessarily in your country but in other countries also.
So when a connection from your device to the remote server is successful then all the request made by you are then passed through a remote server.
Once you are connected using a VPN your IP address will be hidden. Now when you look at google by using the phrase what is my IP address you can easily see that your IP address has been hidden/changed.
Now the question is how to connect to a virtual private network?
There are many applications and software available for your Android, iPhone and as well as your Windows computer for connecting to a VPN server. Many of them are free and some of them are paid.
Now we are going to look at two different methods with which we can setup VPN on our computer.
So the first method is to use a VPN extension for your browser. I’m using chrome browser for this. Just follow the steps:
1. Open this link into your chrome browser and add hotspot shield as an extension.
2. After adding the extension just click on the hotspot shield icon on the top right corner. Then simply click on the connect button.
3. After pressing the connect button you will be connected to the virtual private network and you will see a screen which looks like this. You can also change the remote server if you want to.
4. Now you could actually go to google and type what is my IP and verify if your IP address is hidden/changed.
Now in the second method, we are simply going to use a VPN software on our computer. As I said earlier there are lot’s of free and paid VPN’s available you can use any of them.
You can use hotspot shield VPN if you want but in this case, I’m going to use the windscribe VPN.
It is a free VPN service provider and can be installed on almost all of your devices. So first of all download the windscribe VPN from this link.
Now simply follow the given steps:
1. Open the windscribe VPN.
2. Now choose any server location that you want and then click on the large button on the right.
3. Wait a few seconds and you will see that you are successfully connected to the VPN server.
4. Look at the IP address which the windscribe VPN is showing. This is a new IP address which is based on our new server location.
Benefits of Using a VPN
- It encrypts your connection: So when you connect to a VPN, the connection made your device to the VPN server is encrypted and totally secure. The data which is sent or received over the network is secured and encrypted.
- It helps you to remote access your network: With the help of a Virtual Private Network employees of a company can easily access their companies server remotely from anywhere in the world.
- It provides you online anonymity: Since you are using a VPN you can browse the web in complete anonymity. A VPN is better than using a proxy and has many advantages over using a proxy server. The major benefit is that the VPN connection is reliable and encrypted.
- Unblock websites & bypass filters: VPNs are great for accessing blocked websites or for bypassing Internet filters. With VPNs, you can easily bypass restrictions on your network.
- Helps you to hide your IP address: You can easily change or hide your IP address using a VPN.
Using TOR Browser To Hide Your IP Address
Using VPN’s for hiding IP addresses and staying anonymous is a very common practice.
Majority of the people know about virtual private networks and use them. But only a few of them are aware of this browser called TOR also known as The Onion Router.
If you are someone who likes to peek around stuff related to hacking then you may have heard about this browser.
People say that this browser is only used by the hackers and they only do illegal stuff using TOR browser.
But that simply is not true. Tor is just a browser which uses multiple layers to hide your IP address and anyone who is concerned about his/her privacy online can use it.
Many journalists use Tor to protect their research and sources online, undercover agents use Tor for communications, Businesses use Tor to keep their business strategies protected.
So you too can use Tor browser. Follow the steps below to hide your IP address using Tor browser:
1. First, go this link and download the browser for your device.
2. Now just install the browser on your device and start the browser.
3. After your browser is opened you can go to any URL by typing in the address bar.
4. On the top left corner, you can check how many times your IP address has been changed and the last IP that is Netherlands in my case is the only IP which is visible to the destination website.
So now you have successfully hidden your IP address. Tor browser is available for many devices.
The name of the Tor browser on Android is Orbot. If you want to use Tor on Android smartphone then follow the instructions below:
1. First, download the orbot from google play store and install it on your device.
2. Once you open orbot simply hit on the Start button to make your connection with the Tor network. Once you are connected you will see a screen like this.
3. After that, you just need to install the browser called orfox from the google play. You can visit this link to download directly. This is the official browser developed by the tor community.
4. When you’ll open the browser you’ll see that you are connected to the Tor network and successfully hid your IP address.
Using TAILS Operating System To Hide Your IP Address
Now, this is a somewhat advanced approach if you want to hide your IP address.
We are talking about installing a complete Operating System in order to hide your IP address. Basically, this Operating System uses the Tor network to communicate with the other devices on the Internet.
Generally, Tails is mostly used by cybersecurity professionals to provide them online anonymity.
If you are into surfing Deep Web or Dark Web stuff then this is the Operating System used by professionals all around the globe.
Now you may be thinking what is the difference between Tor browser on Windows and the Tails OS?!
And the answer to this question is that when using a Tor browser on your Windows PC your IP address is only hidden inside the Tor browser. Whatever you do outside from the Tor browser will still using your default network configuration and hence revealing your IP address.
Now in Tails OS not only a specific browser is connected to the Tor network but the whole Operating System is connected to the Tor network. That means all of your machines traffic will be routed through the Tor network. Hence, making it extremely secure for you to browse the web.
Watch the following video on Introduction to Tails OS to get a better understanding of how Tails Operating System works.
Tails is a live operating system that you can start on almost any computer from a USB stick or a DVD.
Apart from just hiding your IP address following are some features provide by the Tails operating system:
- It helps you to use the Internet anonymously
- All connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor network
- It leaves no trace on the computer since it is a live OS it runs completely on your RAM and never touches your hard disk drive.
- You can also use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files, emails and instant messaging.
Rundown: How To Hide Your IP Address
So that was all about how to hide your IP address.
If you were able to hide your IP address using the above methods then please help me to spread the word. Share it with your family and friends and also subscribe to the email newsletter to get notified about new articles like this one as soon as I make them live.
By the way, if you have some other methods which you use to hide your IP address then Just comment below. I’ll love to hear from you and it will also help many of us.
So stay tuned and keep visiting.