Hello, friends in this post you are going to learn how to setup VPN on windows 10. Follow this guide and you’ll up and running within minutes.
So in the past, you may have used some third-party VPN software on your windows pc.
But here is a good news…
…you don’t need to install any third party VPN software to connect to a private network. In windows, we have the feature for creating a windows 10 built-in VPN for free.
A virtual private network helps us to securely and anonymously browse the web. So when connected to a virtual private network we dramatically bring down the risk of getting our information leaked.
Although not many of the regular users of the Internet use VPN for their safety; but still some people use it for bypassing country restricted limitations.
Many companies use a virtual private network to block access to their network to the people outside the company. Also creating a private VPN provides company’s employees to access their network from anywhere in the world. That is a huge reason why so many companies use a VPN.
You can set up a VPN on Windows 10 using the credentials provided by your company. Or if you don’t have any credentials you can still setup VPN on Windows 10 as a regular user.
How To Setup A VPN On Windows 10
So here are the steps on how to setup VPN in Windows 10:
1. Go to your Network and Internet connection settings. You can do that by clicking on the network icon that you are connected.
2. Once you are in the network and Internet connection setting’s page, click on the VPN option. The VPN option is located on the left bar labeled Network & Internet.
3. Then simply click on add a VPN connection. That will open a VPN configuration window. Here we will fill all the information of the virtual private network that we want to connect with.
If you are a general user and is just trying to connect to a virtual private network then don’t worry we will use free VPN servers.
4. Now click on VPN provider and click on windows built-in.
5. Then in the connection name fill whatever connection name you want to have. This will not affect anything. It is just a name of our VPN connection.
6. In the server name or address, we need to either fill a server name or an IP address of the VPN server that we are trying to connect.
Simply fill the remaining credentials as below:
- Server name or address: us2.vpnbook.com
- Vpn type: automatic
- Type of sign-in info: username and password
- Username: vpnbook
- Password: zt3457fb
7. Click on save.
8. Once our VPN in Windows 10 is set up correctly we can simply click on the VPN name and connect to that VPN.
9. As you can see, I’m connected to a virtual private network.
10. Also to make sure that your connection is going through the VPN, you can check your IP address. Simply type in google what is my IP address.
You can also edit the setting whenever you want by simply clicking on the advanced options button. Then clicking on edit. The VPN configuration windows will pop and will be able to make your required changes.
So this was all about connecting to a VPN using the windows built-in VPN service. We simply filled our VPN server information and then got connected to it in a matter of seconds.
By the way, if you want to get more free VPN server credentials you can simply visit vpnbook. The free VPN server list is provided by vpnbook. So choose any free server from the list that you wish to connect.
Setting Up OpenVPN In Windows 10
Now, of course using a free VPN server for a virtual private network is easy but you must avoid it. The cause for this is that these free VPN servers use PPTP (point to point tunneling) protocol.
The point to point tunneling protocol is widely used since it is supported across all Microsoft Windows, Linux, Apple, Mobile and PS3 platforms.
However, if you are trying to stay anonymous or bypass your country based restriction then this might not help you.
This protocol is easier to block and might not work if your ISP or government blocks the protocol. In that case, you need to use OpenVPN, which is impossible to detect or block.
OpenVPN is the considered as the best open-source VPN software worldwide. It is the most secure VPN option.
So here is the step by step guide on how you can setup OpenVPN in your windows 10 computer:
1. First, download and install the OpenVPN client.
2. After installing OpenVPN client you have to download the configuration files for the VPN. If you will not download those configuration files then you will not be able to connect to the VPN.
3. So for downloading VPN configuration files just go this link and download any of the VPN configuration bundle. I have downloaded the first one that says—Euro 1 OpenVPN certificate bundle. Also, make sure to note down the username and the password.
4. Once you download the certificate bundle extract all the files to the following destination: C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config.
5. Now the OpenVPN client is successfully configured and you are ready to connect to a virtual private network.
6. Start the OpenVPN client from the windows menu bar.
7. After that, an icon will appear in the small menu bar located at the bottom right corner.
8. Now right click on the OpenVPN icon and then choose from any of the four options available and hit connect.
9. Once you hit on the connect button you’ll be asked to enter the username and password which you noted above. The username was– vpnbook and the password was– zt3457fb.
10. And now you are successfully connected to the virtual private network. You can check also check your IP address from google using what is my IP address.
Why Bother Using A VPN?
There are many reasons why you would want to use a VPN. The two of the most important reasons to use a VPN is– one that it provides you a secure and encrypted connection.
So you don’t need to worry about any middleman trying to steal your data. Once you are connected to a virtual private network your data is completely encrypted.
All the data sent to and from between you and the destination is tunneled a secure connection. This provides you enhanced security and you would not normally get when connected to the Internet.
Second that it changes your actual IP address with a new IP address. So whenever you visit a website it will think that you are coming from a different location than you actually are.
This will help you to access geo-restricted content or content blocked in school or office.
Rundown: How To Setup A VPN On Windows 10
So, that was all about how to setup VPN on windows 10. I hope you’re successful in setting up VPN on windows 10 without any problem. If you faced any kind of problem, please let me know in the comment section. I will be happy to help you.
If you found this article helpful please share it with your friends and family members. If you have any suggestions for me, feel free to contact me.
So stay tuned, and keep visiting.